what’s an ink well on a C&P

Can someone explain what an ink well is on an old style c&p? I have a c&p, and am thinking of purchasing another one. I’ve never heard of the term before, and I don’t think my current press has one.

Log in to reply   1 reply so far

Ink well = Ink fountain, as you’d find on a Windmill of Kluge.

Unless you are running heavy coverage, or longer runs (100+) with wood type, a fountain may be of debatable merit. They also have particular requirements when being set up for use. I think the archives have some useful information regarding their application.