Monarch press - roller arms


First, a thank you for the wealth of information and advice that you share in this troubleshooting forum; I’ve found the answers to many of my questions here. Most recently, these posts ( and have been enormously helpful as I get acquainted with my Craftsmen Monarch 9 x 12 press.

Next, some questions concerning the roller arms on my press.
I recently acquired this press and found that many of its joints and moving parts are loose and “wonky.” I’m working my way through each of these problems and have encountered something that’s left me puzzled.

In the course of replacing the saddle springs, I discovered that the steel cores (i.e the steel rods on which the springs are mounted) have pin holes at different points along the shaft (see images below). I suspect that one of these rods was a replacement (perhaps from a Superior press??) that was added by a previous owner. No doubt this explains why the rollers would slip out of position as one of the saddles didn’t have enough tension on it.

I’m not especially machinery-oriented (am frankly amazed I’ve made it this far on the Monarch!) so I am not sure what my next step should be. Given that my press budget is modest (bordering on non-existent) – and that I’ve already purchased saddle springs and a gripper assembly from Craftsmen (and shipping, duties and the US-Cdn $ exchange rate is just brutal!), I’m not terribly keen to purchase new rods.

Is it possible to have a new pin hole drilled into this rod without damaging it? Would this be a less expensive but viable and durable solution? Is this something I should attempt myself or should I find a machinist to do the work?

Once again your thoughts and advice will be deeply appreciated from this platen press newbie.

Many thanks.

image: Monarch - rods for saddle springs - with different points for the pins

Monarch - rods for saddle springs - with different points for the pins

Log in to reply   3 replies so far

One can drill another hole in the shaft to support the pin which allows for compression of the roller shaft spring. Be cautious of how the shaft is clocked to permit a short pin to be inserted all the while the saddle remains parallel to the rail. A vee block and clamp will permit the shaft to remain where is it indexed. A drill press ought to be used so the hole is cut perpendicular to the shaft. If this step is beyond your equipment and skill consider taking it to a machine shop and simply ask the machinist to replicate a hole and its location using one shaft as a guide. It ought not take more than a few minutes to accomplish the task. As for replacement pins consider using short cotter pins. These will make insertion and removal very easy due to the ease of grasping the eye end of the cotter pin.
T and T Press Restoration

Perhaps,? instead of drilling yet more holes, i.e. taking the springs to the hole,s via drilling yet more, merely make the (presumably) single springs, per side, into compound springs just by introducing extra auxiliary springs, matched pair, in the spring train with one stainless steel or brass washer, between the primary and the secondary spring(s) i.e. abutting the original and the Cotterpin and/or original washer.!!

Afterthought,!! If as you imply Cash flow is an issue, it must surely be possible for a few Cents or even for nothing to acquire a short length of Hard Nylon tubing, (Hobby shop Model making etc. etc.) and cut increasingly longer OR shorter auxiliary sleeves as spacers.

Thanks to you both for these suggestions! As usual, some excellent advice here. I’ll keep you posted with my progress. ;)