Name of hand-set type receptacle

Can anyone tell me the name of the implement that holds handset type while typesetting.? It is held in your hand while pulling type from the case with your other hand. It has a square corner that the set type is jogged to. This was used by our Printing Dept. supervisor as he set type for letterpress corner cards in 1974 and prior years. This was my initial training, but I can’t remember the name of that implement that held the type.


Log in to reply   1 reply so far


The tool you are talking about is called a “composing stick”.
They come in various sizes, and the most popular today
is the Rouse stick.