Pilot Proof Press?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they’ve seen or used this type of press? The owner says it is a Pilot Proof Press and is asking $200 for it. I’ve searched online to see if I could find images or info about it but can’t seem to find any. Thanks!

image: pilot proof press.jpg

pilot proof press.jpg

image: proof press 2.jpg

proof press 2.jpg

Log in to reply   6 replies so far

Definitely not a Pilot. It looks more like an etching press. Here’s a photo of a New Style Pilot:

image: pilot.jpg


Thanks but I knew it wasn’t the usual type of Pilot press and I agree it looks more like an etching press (except for the raised metal frame on the press bed). Apparently, this press has a metal plate saying that is made by Pilot and is referred to as a proof press in the info given on the metal label but I have never seen one before nor have I been able to find another like it searching online. I was hoping maybe someone else with more exposure to different kinds of letterpress equipment might have seen one before.

This is a press that’s built like an etching press but is designed for printing relief, hence the rubber-covered top roller. The frame on the bed is there to position a chase. It’s missing the handles (probably 3 or 4) that screw into the doogie on the outside where somebody has stuck a bolt that doesn’t belong. It’s basically an “art press”. You can certainly print with it (with hand inking) if you don’t mind printing at snail speed. It’s intended for things such as linoleum and woodcuts but you could print type or polymer with it as well. $200 is a fair price for this as they get snatched up pretty quick these days by artists and they go for quite a bit of money, but you’re definitely going to have to find or make the handles in order to use it. The handles on these are about 2-3 feet long to provide sufficient leverage. I can provide you with a link to a Facebook group that’s dedicated to using and restoring these presses if you like.

I have a press very much like this one, right down to the chase on the bed. It is a medium quality press that I have my beginning students print on. Mine does not have a gear reduction on the drive wheel, and is a smaller version. I found a very similar press to yours on e-nasco. If you want to print letterpress, you probably want to create some sort of roller bearer so that the bed makes contact with the upper roller all the time.

Show us your results.


Thanks so much for the replies! Very helpful! Sorry I didn’t see them before this. :)