Repairing damaged woodtype

I misjudged the distance of my paper clips to the woodtype I placed in my chase. When I pulled the arm I pushed the clips into two letters which are permanently dented. Can I fill the dents with putty? Or should I just leave the dents to create “character?” Thanks.

Log in to reply   2 replies so far

I have succesfully used automotive glazing putty. They use it for filling air bubbles in Bondo. It dries quickly and it small areas is quite hard. Clean the dent very well, maybe even scrape it down to bare wood to get it to adhere well. Once it’s hard, it can be sanded smooth with really fine silicon carbide paper… say 600 grit. Make sure you don’t sand through the finish on the type.

Thanks for the response and the information.