Name that typeface!

Hi everyone, I am a hand bookbinder and when I purchased a standing press for my bindery, the guy who sold me the press also “threw in” some type because I mentioned that I also had a kensol hot stamping press. What I received was a full type cabinet. It appears that I have a lot of different type sizes of the same font: I have cursive, italics and “plain” in 6, 8, 12, 18, 24, and 36 all simply labeled as “oldstyle.” After poking around the internet a bit, I think it might be Goudy oldstyle, but I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me for sure. I have included some pictures to help my cause! I looked for any pin marks and there are none. Some of the sizes seem unused. The type cabinet also came loaded with four drawers full of copper and brass spaces, leads, slugs, cast iron furniture and enough rule to sink a small ship. Cheers, Susan

image: oldstyle.jpg


image: oldstyle2.jpg


image: oldstylecloseup.jpg


image: typecabinet.jpg


Log in to reply   3 replies so far

It looks like Goudy Oldstyle with Swash to me as well.

It looks like Goudy Oldstyle with Swash to me as well.

Thanks James!