Small seven inch cutter for deckled edge

A small cutter with a deckled edge blade for photos. I use mine for photos, bookmarks, greeting cards, and putting an edge on a long envelope flap, and a matching deckle on a sheet for a nice stationery gift.
This won’t work on my baby photos, as they are daguerreotypes (tin types).

Log in to reply   7 replies so far

First and foremost, that little cutter looks like it would create a ragged edge - not a DECKLED edge. It almost looks like it originally had a smooth edge and someone then filed all the grooves into it.


Rick, I’ve got one of these and it creates a nice little patterned edge. It’s a repeating 1 inch or so pattern along the cutting edge. If someone had filed the edge, they’d have a difficult time matching the filings exactly on the other side to allow the cutter to actually cut. I’ve seen quite a few of these on eBay, usually they go for about $20.

Sorry, again I must put on my orthopedic shoes and stand corrected. My shoe horn is getting played out!
This edge is not deckled, nor is it scalloped, so for a better bit of terminology, let’s go along with kimaboe and call it a patterned edge.

I remember when many photos from a photo processing company in my hometown were processed using this edge technique, and it was indeed called a “deckle edge”. I assume it was meant to imitate the deckle produced in hand papermaking, but of course is much more harsh in appearance.

John Henry

I’ve seen a lot of older photos with edges similar to the ones made by my Chandler Trimmer.

It is an interesting look, not perhaps the tool I’ll use most often, but I find it is nice to have around (as with so many of my tools and presses).