type question

I recently bought some cases of type that included what you see in this photo. Aside from the ID of the typeface (of which I am unsure), I am wondering how this type is properly described. Are the three on the right called “patterned” or is there another descriptive term? How about the two on the left? Thanks for any help. Joe

image: type_3349.jpg


Log in to reply   2 replies so far

The type on the right is a “shaded” outline type and is called Copperplate Gothic Shaded. Made by ATF.

On the left is Comstock and the thin outline is considered “rimmed”. Comstock was made by ATF and is also available as Monotype.

Michael Vickey


Thank you, Michael. I appreciate your help.