Quoinage and such

Howdy all.

I have a few questions about the attached:

1) There are three lines cut into the forks of these type-high gauges — I assume they reference whether something being measured is over or under type-high? Does anyone know which line represents exactly type-high and what the other measurements indicate?

2) Is there a specific name for these small Rouse quoins with the round adjustable dials?

3) The small oblong quoins A and B operate similarly with a square key/tool — would anyone be interested in a two-for-one trade of two star-end key/tools for a square-end key/tool?

I cannot figure out items C and they may not even be related to letterpress or to printing in general … anyone recognize them?

always grateful,


image: TypeHighGaugeTools_4x4.jpg


image: RouseSmallQuoins_8x8.jpg


image: Quoins_ABC_8x8.jpg


Log in to reply   5 replies so far

The Rouse quoins are small margin quoins, pretty much best description. “C” are paper/sheet guides. A-B are Morton Lock-up quoins and Wickershams. Got all I need!
Type high gauge, from opening to lines, .918 after the lines .913, halftone, and other undercut plate work.

b.biroscak, a couple of followups:

1) how are the ‘paper/sheet guides’ used?

2) the ‘A’ set are labeled Wickersham, so I assume the ‘B’ are the Morton?

BTW, I am looking for a square key, not more quoins.

3) see attached and confirm I interpreted your dimensionsl descriptions … also, do you know what the ‘578’ refers to on the gauge?:

image: TypeHighGauge_Measurements_6x6.jpg


I believe the Rouse quoins are register quoins. They are used in opposing pairs with two on each side of a cut (usually) to make tiny adjustments to get two or more color illustrations to register. The quoins can also adjust if your cuts aren’t quite square to one another and you an skew them into position.

I always thought that the middle line on the type-high gauge was .918, and the others were over/under. But you can check that yourself, since the foot of the gauge is type-high, and you seem to have two of them.
As for the “B” quoins, there were many brands in the US and UK using that design, but all of mine are marked on the side; for example, Hancock, Tru-Forme. The “Morton Lock-ups” I have are actually multiple Wickershams in one unit.
The sheet guides “C” look like they would clamp onto the platen grippers, to keep the sheet from moving during impression, preventing slur. But they would need to be positioned against an area of (low) furniture in the lock-up, or they’d smash.

Tony, the small quoins are indeed Rouse Register Quoins. A full set of them is 8 pieces, so you have two on each side of your plate base (honeycomb originally, or Boxcar today). They allow you you adjust the plate base by something like 3-6 points up, down, left, right, and for skew. Very handy if you have a complete set!

Michael Hurley
Titivilus Press
Memphis, TN