Printing Presses used by the British Military c.1800


Does anybody have any information regarding the Hand Printing Presses used by the British Army circa.1800.

I know they had a Printing Corp. during the Second World War but somebody told me the Royal Engineers provided some of the Garrisons in the British Colonies at that time (c.1800) with the means of printing for information purposes.

Hope somebody can help.

Rob Pashley

Log in to reply   1 reply so far

Would almost certainly have been the wooden Common press in 1800 — the first iron hand press, the Stanhope, had just been invented a few years earlier and being heavy and somewhat fragile it would not have been suitable for transporting to the colonial garrisons. Common press-based printing outfits were often carried aboard the command vessels of the fleets in those days for production of orders to the subordinate commanders.