Setting slanted type and curved composition

I have 2 concerns at the moment.First off,I am wanting to work w/ some metal type of an italic font,and the body of said type is also slanted.How is type of this sort locked up?
Perhaps of a related matter,I am interested to hear from someone who has set type in an arched pattern using a furniture that is curved and comes in pairs.I was told that the odd spaces were filed w/ wax.Any comments?
Thanks alot!
Blaine in VA

Log in to reply   9 replies so far

Normally type on a slanted body comes with the appropriate slanted spaces and a triangular piece to start your line with and another to finish your line with. You’re still locking up a rectangular shape.

Setting things in ovals or circles shouldn’t be a problem either, the guy I learned from, used lids of jam and peanut butter jars, to set texts around, he would keep it together with tape and fill the spaces left with plaster of Paris.

Masking tape is very handy, you can set a line, wind it into a coil and lock it up.

Use you imagination.

Good luck.

And if you want more information on the slanted type, let me know. I could post you some photos.

Hello Blaine,

Here’s what circular quads look like:

and here’s a chart showing how they’re used:

But I like Thomas’s idea of using the tape and some plaster of Paris. Perhaps that’s how this was done (look at the larger sizes):

I have some circular quads that I got from either Dave Churchman or Don Black (they’re in the Briar Press Yellow Pages). Those two would also be a place to start if you need more angle-body spacing to go with your italic type.


I have taped the type up on a rubber reglet, and then wrap it around a piece of wood. Finally I have fixed the set up with piece of paper. Very easy!
Gott grüß die Kunst

image: HPIM3311a.jpg


image: HPIM3312a.jpg


Thanks so much, Jens! I was hoping you would see this subject. So, the circled areas in the attached photo are simply empty space?


image: Jens's circular form.jpg

Jens's circular form.jpg

Gott grüß die Kunst

I have sets of brass circles. One goes on the outside, the other on the inside and the type in between. All you have to do is fill the circle up with spaces until it’s tight.

Never did it but as a steel rule diemaker what I would do is bend some lead spacer to whatever radii I need and take it from there. If you have a nearby diemaker they can bend up a few sets for you.If taken care of they should serve for some time. I have bent lead to fill gaps in dies that required major alterations. I used to make circle dies and the customer did not want any wood on the outside they kept them closed with a hose clamp. Hope this info helps .

Jens; very neat.

Wow,Y’all are great.I love this place!Many excellent comments from accomplished printers.If only you lived in Hillsville!!Blaine