What is the general technique for debossing an area within which printing will take place? I have read other posts and it seems that one must use a soft paper (like lettra) and that PP can be used and that print first, then deboss? Thanks, Neil

Log in to reply   6 replies so far

Can we call this deep impression? Or deep relief? Not sure of the technique but yes a soft paper or dampened paper will help the process. My understanding it was in one pass but could be done like engraving with an ink pass and then a die pass.

So, one does it with a die which is a type high shaped block? Thanks, Neil

If you’re talking true debossing (opposite of embossing), then you most likely need a die and counter die. If you’re just looking for a deep impression when you print, then that’s just part of the printing process.

Or are you talking about debossing, say, a square area, then printing text within it? That would require two passes, and you can probably get away with running a blind impression for the large solid, then inking up and printing your type. If you go the other way around, you’ll flatten whatever impression you’ve gotten with the type.

Hi Jonsel - just a large block deep impression and then print. What typically is used to create a blind impression? And, why is it blind? Thanks - Neil

I’m not sure the true origin of “blind,” although it may have something to do with it being inkless and resembling the braille effect. Regardless, it means you print without ink, so you get impression only. I would think you could use anything solid that you can get to type high, like a linoleum block. You can use photopolymer as well.

Your impression will show more in a thick, soft paper like Crane’s Lettra, or Reich Savoy. Both are 100% cotton sheets and come in approx 220 lb. cover weights (Savoy is 234 lb. IIRC). The amount of impression also greatly depends on what kind of press you’re using.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has been so very helpful. Neil