What is a Job Backer???

Have seen several wanted ads for “job backer.” Been in printing over sixty years and still don’t know what a job backer is. Have checked a lot of reference books, catalogues, school texts, now I must now go public and admit to my lack of knowledge in this area. Please help me!!!! Thank you!!

Log in to reply   2 replies so far

Stanislaus Pekala - Your post does not reveal a lack of knowledge in printing as this is not a piece of printing equipment. A job backer is a piece of equipment used for hand bookbinding. It holds books in place in the backing process. One such piece can be seen on the Indiana University conservation collection.

An explanation of this process can be found in this Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology on the Stanford University Conservation site

Thank you, thank you, Elizabeth. I can now sleep tonight.