Drip pan and cushion material for Windmill

Hi everyone! Is there a good place to buy a large drip pan for a 10x15 Windmill? Or I read on here that a sheet metal shop can manufacture one- should I ask for galvanized metal with a rolled edge? Best dimensions to use?

When I purchased the press, it came with some sort of cushion material that they put between the drip pan and the press to help with vibration. I had to throw it out (along with the drip pan that was too small) when I put the press in storage because it was all too oily. Do I need a cushion material underneath the press?

Moving the press in a month or so and wanted to get these materials sorted out beforehand. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Log in to reply   4 replies so far

Recommended drip pan size from the Original Heidelberg press manual (if you don’t have a manual, get one) is 3’2” x 4’7”. Sheet metal supplier/shop can cut one for you. Rolled edges is best.

I don’t know about “cushioning material”. My 10x15 sits on 4x4 wood beams and the drip pan.

Nickel Plate Press

Corroborating, N. P. P.s, resume above re drip pan dimensions good yardstick to adhere to! but here U.K. generally there is no advantage to having an excess of pan protruding at the front, so perhaps a little less is good news.

With all the will in the world particles of rubbish always seem to leech in and under the edges of the pan, eventually.

We solved this problem by having the Pan,s guillotined (local sheet metal suppliers) from specifically, Galvanized sheet steel (originally) or (currently) *Zintec* sheet, chemically plated to cope with Oil, Water, Chemical spills, etc.

We finish the edges with 1/4 round x 1” steel moulding/strip, pop riveted to the base tray at about every 6” and then drilled and countersunk at around every 12” for good quality screws, to anchor the pan and moulding to the sub base, where practical/possible, takes a lot longer time for the rubbish to leech in and under.

Where practical/possible *rolls* of absorbent granules along all 4 edges of the drip tray, to contain the build up of drips for longer periods, saw dust is a very cheap option if all else fails.

Then We sit the machine on either 2 pairs (front and rear) on 4” x “2 timbers/lumber in the form of wedges (akin to challenge quoins in large format) makes for minute levelling adjustments.?


We source 4 x 12” square Equestrian origin, Rubber Pads, normally found in use in Loose Boxes, Horse Boxes, Stable Blocks, (nominally at least 1” thick) to withstand the weight of heavy horses, and/or smaller horses with inflamed joints etc.

Good luck. Mick.

I have seen a similar product at a local “Tractor Supply” store here in Arkansas.
“Tractor Supply” is the name of the chain of stores. Depending on who you ask at the counter, if the pads are for horses or truck bed liner. Thick and dense.

Thanks everyone!