Need help identifying this tool

This is one of the tools in my dad’s shop that I believe is for the printing industry. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me the proper name of it and what it is for? The name on the tool is Holep. I am trying to list it on my Ebay but don’t know what to call it. I tried it and it did cut some lead strips. Thank you

image: 015.JPG


Log in to reply   5 replies so far

It looks like it is for closing the metal bands you use to strap boxes and pallets.

Daniel Morris
The Arm Letterpress
Brooklyn, NY

it’s a nipper….. typically used to cut nails off flush with the wood surface, but adaptable to all sorts of tasks.

As named by wcp its an upholsterers pin puller and nail nipper .
Often used by die makers for pulling rules out of dies too.

Thank you all very much for your responses. When I read the descriptions to my husband, it jogged his memory. He remembered his brother, David who was one of the best steel rule die makers in the country, using that tool to pull the rules out of the dies just as you said Peter. I knew it came from dad’s shop, but neither of us could remember what it was used for so thanks again for your help!

We use one to pull steel rules out of dies. Works great and doesn’t destroy the rules.