Adjusting the rollers

We are using a 70’s redball with lockout rollers. We have been using a rider roller but had an odd issue lately. We seem to have an issue with the roller truck sliding and not properly turning or spinning which caused a strange slurring. It was acting sort of like a skidding tire hitting the plate and not rolling over it like it should. We tried a number of re adjustments and ended up taking off the rider roller which fixed the issue. We want to figure out how to fix this and put the rider roller back in as I like the extra ink at times plus the ghosting was gone. We cleaned the trucks and rails but working just sort of OK. We manually brought the rollers into mid chase position and noticed there is not a strong contact with the roller truck and the roller track but maybe the contact is not designed to be a to firm compression as that may slow the roll and make the issue worse. I am wondering if there is an adjustment to roller arm to increase the pull into the track. I know one easy fix is new rollers bearings so I thought I would start there since I feel my bearing are maybe binding a little. I am also wondering if a better roller truck or different material might help so any recommendations would be nice. I also wondered if over time the trucks get glazed and a little roughing up might add a measure of friction.

Log in to reply   4 replies so far

If the pressure of the trucks on the rails seems light check the lubrication of the arms, might be seized not allowing the springs to do their job. When using the rider roller just set the contact pressure lightly, just finger pressure in the middle. Make sure the trucks and rails are clean, the rails can be lightly dusted with french chalk or even resin powder applied using cloth pad.( Infomation taken in part from the press manual)

Thanks for the feedback. I will double check the arms. It might be time to grease and lube them as a good test of improving the overall function. We have tried a number of spots for the rider roller. I had it hit both rollers, the first roller, the second roller and all spots in between. I do feel I had to much pressure on the rider roller which added to the problem. I also think my roller bearings could probably stand to be replaced. I had noticed it worked better at slower speed which may be a little bearing drag.

When using the rider roller, I place two strips of office paper underneath the roller so there is a gap and tighten the roller screws well. Then I remove the strips of paper. Maybe this will help you.

I also noticed that the rubber rollers slip a little over the cliché when I apply the self-adhesive strips. I stick them on the rails to slightly raise the rollers when I’m too lazy to adjust their height.

I replaced the bearings but that made no difference. I did notice, by mistake, the rider roller acts like a bridge between to two roller arms making them less independent to each other and more rigid almost working as one. I was trying to do some numbering and had trouble removing the rollers. It was the rider roller basically linking the 2 arms together. I am going to try using the rider rollers again but adjust the pressure when the rollers are down on the plate and at the point the rails are adjusted to print and see if makes a difference