Sheet of tin for under a press

Anyone have a good resource for buying the tin piece that should go under presses to catch oil and sludge?

Log in to reply   10 replies so far

An auto parts supply store. Ask for a galvanized steel drip pan (or tray).

Less expensive in cost, and able to custom-build a press drip-pan, would be a furnace and ducting fabrication shop. The pans carried by the auto jobbers rarely suit the footprint of platen. presses. Failing that - there’s always kitty litter.

The trays that I mentioned are 25 x 36 inches and cost around ten bucks.

an update on this:
couldn’t find anything other than plastic oil drip pans at local auto supplies :(

ended up finding a sheet of galvanized (steel or aluminum- not sure which) at a HVAC supplier here near philadelphia.

For those of you in the area in need of something like this check out Riley Sales- they also sell large shallow trays or pans you can go there in person- it’s the location in plymouth meeting on Romano Drive.

Is the above mentioned 25x36 tray about right for a 10x15 windmill?

Purpose-built drip trays for a windmill measure 38”x55”. A 25x36 will fit, albeit tightly, under the body of the press, but will not catch oil dripping from air pump, flywheel/clutch, motor and feed/delivery boards.

yes,,, your local HVAC contractor should be able to make what you need

Just found this thread. taking into account modernman’s suggestion that the 25 x 36 would be tight and not catch oil from other areas…what would be the ideal size tray for a
C & P 10 x 15?

36” x 54” will comfortably protect the floor under an open 12x18. A little bit smaller for a 10x15 I guess.

Do you have the press? Just measure the width and length.

contact a local sheet metal shop. you should be able to have one made up, with a small lip, for less than $50.